The Dutch Research Council (NWO) has recently awarded 10 million euros towards a large project focused on energy efficient computing technologies. One of these domains will investigate light-wave-based, massively parallel, computing. Within this project, ASTRON has a unique use-case with which to test such light-based computing technology. To aid astronomers in their study of the transient Universe, aperture array telescopes have the capability to observe the complete sky instantaneously by creating multiple, simultaneous array beams on the sky. In LOFAR, these beams are typically formed in the digital domain and demands a vast amount of computational resources to achieve. This is where light-wave-based computing has game-changing potential: to instantaneously fill the sky with array beams by applying a spatial Fourier transform through optical beamforming.
In this position, you will join ASTRON's Smart Frontend group as postdoctoral researcher on optical radio frequency (RF) beamforming, in a joint position with the Electro-Optical Communication group with Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e). Your role in this project will be to design and demonstrate spatial Fourier transformation, through optical beamforming to instantaneously receive signals from multiple directions on the sky.
You must have:
- a PhD degree in physics or electrical engineering, specialised in photonics,
- at least 3 years’ experience working with photonics instruments,
- fluent English written and verbal communication,
- the ability to work independently, while maintaining contact with project stakeholders.
What you can expect from us
- An inspiring, innovative, pleasant, and challenging working environment with an international and inclusive work culture.
- The combination of astronomy, operations and engineering in the same building.
- The opportunity and the facilities to grow and develop yourself in this position.
- A 32- 38 hours/ week temporary appointment in the service of the Netherlands Foundation of Scientific Research Institutes (NWO-I) for the duration of in total 2 years.
- A gross monthly salary on a full-time basis, in the range of € 3319,- to € 5028,- depending on relevant experience. A holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.33% of the gross annual salary.
- A good package of benefits like pension plan, discount on health insurance and travel expenses scheme.
- Flexible working conditions of employment tailored to your personal situation, generous relocation expenses and support with finding accommodation and support to find a suitable job for your partner.
The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement Research Institutions.
NWO institutes such as ASTRON, as well as TU/e, strive for a diverse workforce: we want to develop talent and creativity by bringing together people from different backgrounds and cultures. We recruit and select based on competencies and talents. Therefore, we encourage anyone who identifies with the vacancy, regardless of age, gender, origin, orientation or disability, to respond.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, then we would very much like to meet you! You can apply via the 'Apply now' button below. We look forward to receiving your motivation letter and curriculum vitae. Candidates will be considered until the position has been filled. For more information, please contact David Prinsloo, Competence Group Lead of the Smart Frontend group, at email@example.com.
For more information about the vacancy procedure, please contact ASTRON HR, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org